ESRC-DFID JOINT SCHEME FOR RESEARCH ON INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT (POVERTY ALLEVIATION) – Phase 2, second call
DEADLINE: 30 September 2010
DFID and ESRC are pleased to announce a second call for applications under Phase 2 of their strategic partnership to provide a joint funding scheme for development research. The purpose of the scheme is to provide a more robust conceptual and empirical basis for development, and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
WORKSHOPS: A series of workshops are planned for potential applicants in July to give advice on the application process and further detail on the remit of the call.
· 10.00 on 16 July - e-Science Institute, Edinburgh University - register via the National e-Science Centre website at http://www.nesc.ac.uk/esi/events/1101/
· 14.00 on 21 July - Priory Road Social Sciences Complex, Bristol
· 14.00 on 22 July - Wellcome Collection, London - hosted by the UK Collaborative on Development Sciences (UKCDS)
· 10.00 on 23 July - The Rose Bowl, Leeds Metropolitan University
To register for workshops in London, Leeds or Bristol please email DFID@esrc.ac.uk and include in the email subject the date and venue of the workshop you wish to attend.
THEME: The second phase of funding retains the overall 'poverty alleviation' theme from the first phase, and applications under this broad heading will still be eligible. However, ESRC and DFID have identified three thematic areas for this call where work will be of particular interest:
· Population and Development;
· Development in a Changing World: the Challenge for Theory, Policy and Action;
· Inequality and Development.
FUNDING: This second phase of the joint scheme has a total budget of £23 million and consists of three annual calls for proposals. £7m is set aside for this second call. Full applications are invited between £100,000 and £500,000 (100 per cent FEC).
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Any UK and non-UK applicant(s) and their institutions intending to apply to this call must ensure they are registered with Je-S.
CONTACT: Email DFID@esrc.ac.uk or tel Lyndy Griffin (0) 1793 413135, or Peter Stephenson (0) 1793 442162, or Eloise Stott (0) 1793 413387.