Free ebook: Oxfam
Be Outraged: There are alternatives
An international group of economists and social scientists argue in this book that austerity is bad economics, bad arithmetic, and ignores the lessons of history. They are outraged at the narrow range of austerity policies which are bringing so many people around the world to their knees, especially in Europe. ‘Be Outraged’ argues that austerity measures and cutbacks are reducing growth and worsening poverty and that there are alternatives – for Britain, Europe and all countries that currently imagine that government cutbacks are the only way out of debt.
1. Alternatives exist
2. What went wrong?
3. Putting it right
4. Unemployment: a human waste, a triple tragedy
5. Building caring economies based on gender equality
6. Reducing inequality, a recovery for all, not just the few
7. Transforming the financial sector from bad master
to good servant
8. Supportive action by international institutions
9. Action speaks louder